Monday, July 27, 2009

Dear Danielle;

When things get frustrating, and you worry about your abilities as a mom, please remember the things that make it all worth it:

Snuggling up with a clean-smelling baby with soft skin and complete trust in his eyes. His little snores alternating with binky squeaks in your ear, and the weight of his head on your shoulder as he falls to sleep.

The absolute delight he shows in every new discovery. The little "o" he makes with his mouth, and the sliding "uh-oh" he repeats every morning on the way to day care. The way he wiggles his hands and feet when he gets excited.

The way he breaks your heart a little each time he laughs in happiness when he sees you, buries his head in your shoulder when he's shy, and bumps his head into your calves when you're making dinner.

Remember these sunshine moments, because one day, he'll push you away when you try to hug him, roll his eyes when you tell him you love him, and lament to his friends about how "mean" his mom is. And on those days, pull out those memories to remind yourself it's all just a big show, and deep down he's still that same little boy who once upon a time covered your face with wet kisses, patted your back, and said, "Mamamamama."

5 comments:

Nancy Allen said...

Danielle - how well I remember those days when you were just a tiny tot, and Mom and Dad were all the people that were important in your world. Then - you grew up and left us. I guess that's why God gave us grandchildren.
Mom

jenn said...

Such wonderful little memories that you will be so glad you wrote down! I know how easy it is amidst the chaos to forget the big picture, but those little ones truly are the most precious thing ever. And it is hard to imagine that the day will come when you are not the coolest person in the world to Cole, but trust me...it comes WAY to fast. Grace will be 10 this fall and I'm already feeling the ache of her slipping away. Enjoy him every second.

Cassie said...

Well this one is a tear jerker...

I still can't believe that one of us is a mom sometimes! But I must say, you have adapted to it beautifully.

Josh and Anna said...

Danielle I'm sure you are the most fabulous mother! Your little guys sounds like such a doll!

Aprile said...

I have to remind myself of my memories each time my 5 year old tells me he hates me and wants a new family! Still, no matter how mad he gets at me, I don't love him any less. Now I know why my parents didn't kill me during my teen years :)