Friday, March 13, 2009

Good Read

I'm reading this book right now called "You're a Good Mom (and your kids aren't so bad either)." Even though I'm not very far into it, it's been a good, light-hearted read, and I would recommend it. I find myself laughing and totally agreeing with some things in it. Here are some of my favorites:

"The number one thing you won't discover until it's too late - if he gets really low like a Marine on a training course, your baby can completely fit under the couch."

"I often grew impatient when my husband didn't whip up a bottle of formula or calm a crying kid down as fast or as well as I could. And by "grow impatient," I mean, of course, that I'd roll my eyes and emit a pained sigh like a thirteen-year-old who has to show Mom yet again how to log onto the Internet."

"And so I wonder: Do we focus too much on our kids because we're made to feel useless if we don't? We certainly agonize over missed milestones and even signs of genius in a way that never concerned our mothers. After all, there was no kindergarten readiness testing thirty years ago. Back then, it went like this:
"Are you five?"
"Yes."
"Then you're ready for kindergarten."

It never fails to amaze me at how children can be so different, but the experience in raising them is universal. At least we can laugh, right?

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Life really is crazy. I find myself thinking most of those things, or something similar very often. Loved your twins picture by the way.

Mom of three ♥ said...

That book sounds like a fun one, I will have to get that.

Becky said...

Yep, I discovered today that Naomi can do a backwards Navy slide right under the chair! So right!

Cassie said...

I always love a good read.

I am going to lock this one away for my own mommy time (years and years from now).

Angie said...

True dat! True dat!

Tammy said...

I loved the picture where Cole reaches for the "stache". Something I think each one of my kids have done but I never captured it of course! (It was saved to be captured by Cole!) Cute pictures, enjoy every minute, he is growing too fast! Tammy