Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Farm Fresh

If you haven't read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle or seen Food, Inc., I totally recommend either. While they can both be a little preachy, the main message is good: Eat Locally. This year, Bryce and I made a goal to eat both healthier and more conscientiously. It helps that a lot of our friends are doing the same and we've been able to get some tips.

We've been getting all of our meat from local M&B Meats, and I can totally vouch for it's deliciousness. This spring, I also signed us up for a farm CSA through Borski Farms, which lets you buy shares of their crops. Every week through October, we get to pick up a bunch of delicious local veggies. We've been eagerly awaiting our first week, and were not disappointed. This week it was:

LettucePeasand Herb StartsWe're super excited to try some new things and support local businesses. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy me some Mac n' Cheese when the opportunity arises, but this feels good. If you don't have quite enough time to garden or go to the Farmer's Market every week - this is definitely a good option!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

It was a really good book, (Stacey read more of it than I did :) ) A real eye opener. We've decided to try and look into local as well.

Josh and Anna said...

What a cool idea! I've been trying to figure out a way to get more fresh furit and veggies too,
one of my favorite things about summer!

Strong Family said...

I really, really enjoyed Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I'm growing a lot of my own veggies this year and hoping to freeze and can much more than I have in the past. But I have already been to the market downtown twice. I love the atmosphere there, and the produce it nice too. You can get some good deals there and some not so good deals. But it's nice that it's all fresh. And if you ever make it down there, the Happy Monkey humus, is awesome. I love the Roasted Garlic and tomato. I get two everytime I go and it doesn't last me 2 weeks. Yum!
And where is M&B meats located? Do you have to have it delivered, or can you go to their location?

Cassie said...

It really just makes sense. Eat local. Shop local. Love it.

jenn said...

Never mind, question answered! :)

Good for you. Everything looks delish!