Saturday, January 30, 2010

Come Hell or High Water

Last weekend, Bryce and I decided we needed to go sledding. It had been snowing, and we thought it would be a fun family outing.

Right.

First on the list - go buy a sled. It's January - shouldn't be hard, right? Apparently not. I guess January is the time stores stock swimming suits, not sleds. We had to go to 3 different stores just to find one. Same thing with toddler boots. We finally ended up buying some galoshes that were way too big. By this time, Cole is sick of being in the car, as are we.

By sheer force of will, we start driving up by Suncrest to find a hill with enough snow. Cole expresses his excitement by falling asleep. We get him up and put all his snow stuff on, which he does not appreciate. We had to hike across this gigantic field just to get to the hill.

Halfway there, we realize one of his boots has fallen off. (See that little dot in the middle of the white?)
At this point, we grit our teeth, make our way to the hill, and ride the crap out of that thing. Once. Look how much fun we're having!Lesson learned? You betcha.

8 comments:

Shay said...

I hate how stores stock items several months before you actually need them, like I am thinking about snow in November! Then when you need them, you can't find them! I went to buy some indian corn/pumpkins for my table before thanksgiving, Store: "oh, we sold out of those in early October". Went to buy a swimsuit in July for Afton, nearly sold out.

At least you tried, now you have wonderful memories and pictures to last a lifetime. :) Maybe next year, we should go together.

Cassie said...

Don't say the fates didn't warn you.

Stacey said...

I love the post! I know how you feel...sometimes the "idea" of a fun, enjoyable activity is all that counts. Way to go Thomsens!

Andrea said...

Wow. Props to you for even trying. Ashley is old enough now to ask to go sledding. I always say, "ask Dad to take you." I can't use the excuse that I'm pregnant anymore. I HATE being cold! And it is such an effort to get there and it's always always way too crowded. I really don't know why I haven't moved to warmer grounds yet.

Josh and Anna said...

I bet at some point you said, "we have to get at least one good picture for the blog":) I kind of feel the same way about skiing. It sounds like a good idea until you have to bundle up and go out in the cold and honestly would rather just take a nap:)

Nancy Allen said...

I can really tell Cole hates the whole sledding experience! Guess you'll have to wait until he's at least two!

jenn said...

You crack me up!

At least you are being fun parents. That has to count for something, right?!

Tammy said...

Loved your descriptive narrative of the whole event. He is too cute, and quite the walker now!! Looking forward to NY pictures soon!! Your cakes are beautiful!