Thursday, October 14, 2010

Feed All Ducks

Every summer, the Barber family rotates taking care of Grandma Barber and Aunt Carol's yard. We all have dinner together, and Grandma always has some projects for us to work on. The last time we went, I happened to have my camera with me, and was so glad I did.

Grandma had Cole pick some tomatoes, which he immediately ate, along with grapes and a purple pepper. (Which he also ate.)We watched the planes fly in.
But, of course, the highlight of the night was feeding the ducks. If you are a Barber grandchild, you have at least one memory of feeding the ducks behind Grandma's house. The smell of the wood and oil from the shed; the planks beneath your feet, and the feel of the stale bread - it's the same today as it was 20 years ago.And as I stood there watching my little boy, I realized how very lucky I am to have my wonderful grandparents. You could always count on seeing them sitting on the front row of every piano recital, dance competition, or church talk for every grandchild. Grandma always had a grand idea of something fun we could do: from putting on plays, to riding the bus to Tracy Avery, it was always an adventure. And Grandpa - what can I say? Sometimes I see a picture of him and miss him so much my heart truly aches.

So, thank you to you both, for the love you gave me and the rest of our family...and for the excitement I see in Cole's eyes when he asks, "Go Grandma Barber's? Feed all ducks?"

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Those pictures are so precious. I really can remember the smell of the shed and the sometimes difficult task of tearing the bread into small pieces. And thanks a lot for making me cry at work with the Grandpa talk! My heart aches too.

Love you, Yell.

Lili said...

Love the pictures. Isn't it fun when your kids get to experience your grandparents? I love it!