Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Farewell

Our beloved fish passed away last night. Sometimes we called him "Doc Hudson," other times it was "The Sheriff," but we always loved him. We decided to let this be a learning experience for Cole, and talked a little about death and that we would miss him. We had Cole help bury him in the backyard. As soon as we got done, Cole looked at the ground and said:

"Okay. Get him out now."

We had to explain that was where Doc Hudson would be now. I wasn't sure he was getting it, but as we walked back to the house, he turned around and said:

"See you later, Doc Hudson. This scary monster (what he refers to himself as) will always love you!"

I realized this was a moment when I was literally watching my little boy grow up before my eyes.

I also realized we wouldn't have to be cleaning out that gross fish bowl anymore and felt just a smidge guilty for being relieved. But only just a smidge.

5 comments:

Randa Pickle said...

that is such a sweet story. See you later Doc Hudson makes your heart pull.

Mom of three ♥ said...

That is so sweet and cute what Cole said! Our kids have fish too, but somedays I don't even think they remember that they have them!

jenn said...

Oh, what a sweetie. And I'm with you on the fish tank... :)

Josh and Anna said...

Rest in Peace Doc Hudson, rest in peace:(

Cassie said...

Well I totally got tears in my eye! What a sweetie that Cole of yours is.