Saturday, June 3, 2017

Little Red...Briefly

A few years ago, I did a bike tour called Little Red. It's an all women ride up in Lewiston, Utah. It was transformative. I loved it. I felt like I could do anything when I finished my 50 miles.
Jennifer, Shannon, and I - before the torture began

For various reasons I haven't gone over the past couple of years. I signed up again and did my best to get some riding in beforehand, but I knew I wasn't well-prepared. So the day of, I pushed my miles down to 36.
 
I wanted to die.
 
Let's talk about how I felt as old ladies and people substantially larger than me zoomed by as I huffed and puffed and tried not to throw up. There were numerous times I wanted to pull off the road, sit my ass down on the ground, and wait for one of the support vehicles to pick me up and drive me back. Part of the problem is that you got one pit stop 13 miles in, and then nothing for the remaining 22 miles. No shade, no bathrooms, no energy goo to force down. Sheer will kept me on that bike. That and Shannon, who was so amazing I can't even begin.
 
Part of me is ashamed at how difficult it was. But part of me is proud that I finished. That even though I didn't have the same smiling victory face as last time, it was a face that finished.  

No comments: