Friday, October 10, 2014

Hello to Indian Hills

I've always thought that having Cole go to regular public school wouldn't be that big of a deal. He'd been in school for all of his life, right? Not so much. Arranging for school ended up instigating to some degree our move from Draper to Salt Lake - a pretty major life event.

Back in December of 2013 (!), I began applying to Salt Lake City schools - the only schools that have full-day Kindergarten. (Don't get me started on THAT.) Again and again we were denied. Luckily, with our move, Cole fell in the boundaries of Indian Hills Elementary - a school that not only has full-day Kindergarten, but after care as well.

Soon came the first day of Kindergarten. As I snapped pictures that morning, I marveled over how quickly time had flown and what a big day this was. At University Kids, I had some degree of control, still, but now, he'd go off to school all day and be living a big part of his life that I wasn't a part of. We'd talked about Cole's excitement and worries about starting school, and he kept reassuring me that he was "mostly excited" to go.

His first day was a great success. He thought his teacher, Ms. Harms, was "super nice" and that "all the kids were good."
Since then, we've started the roller coaster that is elementary school: the extremely active and very involved PTA president, kids not being kind, working through learning new things that aren't always the easiest, and fielding the "why can't you stay home like other mommies?" questions.

It sure doesn't get easier.

But, as I watched him suffer through the Fun Run (which he loudly informed me was "NOT FUN!"), I'm so glad we made the move we did and have ended up where we have.

Hang in there, Cole.  You've only got another 12 years of this fun. 

1 comment:

Shay said...

I totally agree, sending your little ones off to school ends up being so much harder that you think it will be for so many different reasons. I am glad everything worked out so well with the move though!