Thursday, April 28, 2011

An Early Surprise

We are happy to announce the arrival of our new little boy - Jack Robert Thomsen! He was born on April 25th at 3 pounds, and 16.5 inches.I'd been having some issues with swelling and feeling a light-headed, so on Sunday night, my dad brought over his home blood-pressure cuff. My readings were at 180/120, which I just didn't think could be right. The next morning, I tested again and they were the same, so we headed off to the hospital to get it checked out.

At first, it sounded like I would just be put on bed rest. But my blood pressure just wasn't responding to the medication and my kidneys were starting to have issues. The doctor came in and point blank said we would be having the baby today. An hour later, our sweet little boy was born via c-section.

Jack has been a fighter since the first moment. He was able to come off of the ventilator after only one day and is breathing on his own. He's making all the steps he needs to and just needs time to grow. He'll be in the NICU for about the next 6 weeks, just getting bigger and learning how to eat.
While it was definitely not the way we planned, both Bryce and I are so happy that things are going well. Thank you to everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and visits. We love you all and appreciate your support!

8 comments:

Strong Family said...

He sure is a cute little guy! I'm so glad he is doing so well and is so strong and that you are doing well also. I remember my nephew being born at 32 weeks, and he was on and off of oxygen all the time and was in an incubator for several weeks. He weighed barely 5 lbs when he went home. I'll pray that Jack gets eating and breathing at the same time down quickly so he can put on weight and come home. Congrats!

Stacey said...

He's a cutie! I'm glad to hear that you are both doing as well as can be hoped for right now. NICU is no fun, but it sounds like he's doing fabulous! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you guys. Lots of love!

Lili said...

Oh my! And here I was thinking of calling you to do Oli's cake again. I hope you are doing better-is there anything we can do? Pregnancy can be scary sometimes-you know i've had my problems. Jack is a cute boy! I'm glad he's a fighter. Love his name-it reminds me of my husbands-John Robert! You are both in our prayers!

The Petterssons said...

Such a cute little guy! I'm glad to hear you and Jack are doing well and hope that you both continue to progress! Can't wait to meet him!

Nancy Allen said...

What a week it's been - but Jack is going to be OK and so are you. It will just take some time. We love you and know you are in good hands with the man upstairs.

Mom of three ♥ said...

Glad that things are going well for both of you! He sure is cute and I can't wait to meet him when he gets to come home!

Becky said...

Oh My!!!! I am glad everything is ok.

Cassie said...

Goodness me, you gave me a scare! I am happy you and Jack are doing just marvelous. You know you can still call me for anything you need. I can be there is a jiffy!